Random Musings
Monday, March 22, 2004
 
Today Israel had Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin killed.

My intial reaction was disappointment. Clearly this is an escalation in the violence between Israel and the Palestinians and it's virtually certain, at least in the short run, to increase tensions and violence in the region.

The more I think about it, though, I consider the possible parallel to Osama Bin Laden - who is obviously the "spiritual leader" of Al Qaeda. If our forces were to kill Bin Laden I would certainly be pleased. I'm having a difficult time reconciling that with what occurred today. If Yassin was the Palestinian "Osama" then I certainly can't fault the Israelis for striking against him.

Regardless of whether "justice was served" or not, the killing is certainly going to result in an escalation of violence and is not conducive to furthering the peace process. At least not in the near term.

-B-



Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Technorati Profile